Sunday, May 21, 2006

Blow out the candles

In a couple of weeks, I will turn 23. Like many people, I sometimes like to reflect on how much I've achieved in 23 years. Let's see: I've graduated from college, lived on my own in Florida and secured the job I wanted at a daily newspaper. Not too shabby, but it could use some work.

There are lots of things I wish I had done, like study abroad in Europe somewhere so I could travel. Also, I wish I had minored in Spanish instead of Political Science. My inability to form a coherent sentence about Spanish or The Constitution proves that I should've taken a different route. I wish I hadn't spent so much on my credit card (granted, most of the purchases went to expensive repairs on my car), because now I'm paying the price, so to speak.

But there's still some time. There are still some things I can do, even in my old age. Before I turn 30, I plan to attend graduate school -- where I will make a point to study Spanish for real, along with my main studies in journalism. During that time, when I have long breaks again, I plan to travel -- and hopefully not just to Europe. I'd also like to run a marathon before I turn 30. I'm training for a half marathon right now...maybe that will spur me on to greater distances. I'd also like to own a condo or a house -- I hate the idea of renting; it seems like a waste of money.

I'll keep you posted on my progress of these lofty goals. In the meantime, I've got a party to plan.

No comments: