Monday, June 14, 2010

Pancake Experiment

U.S. Egg, one of our favorite breakfast restaurants, serves a delicious dish called "protein pancakes." It lists it under a low-carb menu, though from what I can tell, nearly all the ingredients are carb heavy (pancake batter, oatmeal, etc). Oh well. They are delicious so I tried my own version this morning:

Oatmeal and Pecan Pancakes

- two packets of "cinnamon roll" flavored instant oatmeal
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs brown sugar

Saute in a pan on medium heat until mixture is coated. Add to regular pancake batter and cook as usual.

They did come out very thick, so the next time around I will probably thin out the batter with more water. I also wonder if it would help to throw the oatmeal and pecans in the food processor beforehand. I'm guessing this idea would also work with homemade granola.

1 comment:

beckmarsh said...

So is it the nuts that make them protein pancakes?